Rep. Brett Harrell appointed subcommittee chair
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:||Contact: J.D. Easley|
|Thursday, February 3, 2011||(404) 656-0311|
Rep. Brett Harrell Appointed Subcommittee Chair
ATLANTA – The Committee on Assignments announced House committee assignments for the Georgia General Assembly 2011-2012 term. State Representative Brett Harrell (R-Snellville) was appointed to the Regulated Industries, Transportation, and Information & Audits committees. Rep. Steve Davis (R-McDonough), chairman of the Information & Audits Committee, subsequently named Rep. Harrell chairman of the General Government Subcommittee on Information and Audits. Additionally, Rep. Jay Roberts (R-Ocilla), chairman of the House Transportation Committee, placed Rep. Harrell on the Ports and Local Government Subcommittee of the House Transportation Committee.
“I am honored and deeply appreciative to Speaker Ralston and the Committee on Assignments for allowing me to serve the citizens of District 106 and our state as a member of these important committees,” said Rep. Harrell. “I look forward to working with each committee chairman to improve the environment for all citizens and help businesses in Georgia to flourish.”
The Information and Audits Committee maintains administrative oversight over the Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts and is responsible for maintaining House Journals. The Georgia Department of Audits and Accounts audits the administration of state, county, and city governments.
The House Transportation Committee handles legislation dealing with Georgia’s Department of Transportation and their operations. The committee also deals with legislation regarding Georgia’s roads and infrastructure.
“Representative Harrell’s previous service as mayor of Snellville and executive director of the Highway 78 Community Improvement District, as well as his service on the Department of Community Affairs Board, will provide valuable insights to the Information and Audits Committee, and that is why I have asked that he chair the General Government subcommittee,” said Chairman Davis.
The House Committee on Assignments is charged with making all House committee assignments for the members of the Georgia House of Representatives. The committee, chaired by House Speaker David Ralston (R-Blue Ridge), also includes the following members of the Georgia House of Representatives:
- Speaker Pro Tem Jan Jones (R-Milton)
- Majority Leader Larry O’Neal (R-Bonaire)
- Majority Whip Edward Lindsey (R-Atlanta)
- Majority Caucus Chair Donna Sheldon (R-Dacula)
- Majority Caucus Vice Chair Matt Ramsey (R-Peachtree City)
- Majority Caucus Secretary/Treasurer Allen Peake (R-Macon)
- Representative Amy Carter (R-Valdosta)
- Representative Tom Dickson (R-Cohutta)
- Representative Terry England (R-Auburn)
- Representative Rich Golick (R-Smyrna)
- Representative Mark Hamilton (R-Cumming)
- Representative Penny Houston (R-Nashville)
- Representative John Meadows(R-Calhoun)
- Representative Jay Powell (R-Camilla)
- Representative Jay Roberts (R-Ocilla)
- Representative Richard Smith (R-Columbus)
A complete list of all House Committee assignments can be found at the following link: http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2011_12/house/index.htm